Illuminate Festival, Doncaster (Right Up Our Street) back to all events
Celebrating Austerfield and Bawtry’s 400 year old connections
with the Pilgrims and the sailing of the Mayflower.
Come and Join us on Sunday the 17th November Austerfield & Bawtry’s Illuminate Festival.
It will begin with a candle lighting service in Austerfield church at 11:15am.
From 2:30pm until 4:30pm, the Phoenix Theatre will be open for light refreshments and the showing (on a loop) of a short 7-minute video giving historic background to the Pilgrim Fathers. Come and chat with ‘pilgrims’ from Bawtry Community Church.
A giant illuminated whale, made by pupils from Bawtry Mayflower Primary School, Everton Primary School, Coppice School and Hatfield Woodhouse Primary School and the Community library, using recycled plastics facilitated by sculptor Dan Jones, will be paraded from Austerfield through to Bawtry. Their handmade lanterns and voices will light the journey, accompanied by musicians Janet Wood and Moony Wainwright.
The Young Player from Phoenix Theatre will be performing a one off pilgrim themed show, on the mound opposite the Theatre.
The parade will end at Bawtry Hall with a spectacular finale:
● A spectacular aerial dance ‘Odyssey’ performed by international touring company Periplum.
● Mass choir performance including all school children and Quirky Choir.
● The Doncaster Waites
● An “Under the Sea’ themed ‘Dance On’ social ball with local groups from Doncaster
● Heritage Doncaster’s mobile Museum showcasing locally made pilgrim artefacts.
● Food and Drinks available to purchase.
The whale will start at 4:15pm from Austerfield Study Centre reaching Bawtry Mayflower School at 4:30pm where pupils from all schools will begin the parade.